Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Just Today

Work has been the one constant in my life these past few months.  I'm thankful to have a job as so many don't.  I'm thankful my job keeps my mind engaged and my body moving.  If it wasn't for this job, I could be sitting mindlessly at a desk job browsing the internet and looking for ways to cause trouble in peoples lives.

The one thing that is the most difficult about my job is the physical impact it has on my body.  Yes, I am literally moving all day long.  I don't have access to the internet tools I need from the auxillary warehouse and so I walk back and forth all day long, sometimes, just to communicate to my bosses who are not answering their phones.  The pace is fast, almost at a run.  There is always a schedule and there is no time for slow sauntering.  The weights of the boxes I lift daily range from 25lbs to 75lbs and are anywhere from 12x12 to 50x50...it just depends on what the job is.  The tendonitis in my elbows can be excruciating on certain days.  I am in physical pain most of the day.  I keep saying I don't want to be doing this when I'm 50. I better get my ass moving then.

This week, my boss is on vacation.  Something he should have done long ago.  This means the entire workload of daily fulfillment activities as well as the special projects are all on my plate.  Stressful, yes, but it keeps my mind occupied so I don't have to think about the stupid shit that is playing out in my life.  The problem is, I am just tired.  The sunshine that hit our city yesterday was warm and inviting.  I should have been out riding my horse after the 11 hour day.  But I just couldn't risk the drive out, the chance of my eyes closing on the road.

465 packages ship out today.  Another project immediately ships in and starts right afterwards.  There are only 10 shipments, but it requires processing of about 1500 graphic pieces.  There is a chance that 2 projects will arrive at the same time.  If so, add another 340 shipments.  One ships on Friday, the other on Monday.  No telling if that means I have to work or set up work for the weekend.  I never really know until the last minute.

There is a great amount of pride I take watching those shipments leave our warehouse.  The size of the jobs, of the graphics, of the coordination are not anything near rocket science, but it requires an attention to detail, the ability to micromanage or not, and a mind that can move quickly from one task to another, multitasking at warp speed.  But it always leaves on time if it's within my control.

2 pallets of sauces, ketchup, and mustards will ship today as well.  Each case moved once to count and a second time to be palletized.

I am good at what I do.  I am respected for my mind and what I can accomplish, who I am.  My integrity is not questioned, nor my motives.  I am trusted to make it all work, because the people I work with, even the clients who have never met me, know that the success of others, is the final goal, the priority of the company.  There are pits as with any job.  But they are nothing compared to the outside world.

Work is the safe place....

I'm looking forward to a bath.  A long hot bath with bubbles that reach to the top of my head.  The water from a sponge over my back.  The lather against my skin.

I'm looking forward to hands across my body.  The tensions of the week, mental and physical released as fingertips ripple across my skin.

I'm looking forward to closing my mind to the outside world.  Relaxing and letting it happen.

I'm looking forward to being taken care of.

No comments:

Post a Comment