Thursday, March 31, 2011

Wading into the waters where the Green Eyed Monster lurks

Envy
Exclusion
Competitiveness

Those are the 3 flavors of the week.
I'm sure there are more, but those are the 3 that have been identified and need to be dealt with.

What do I Envy?
I envy that you will wear a piece of jewelry she gave you to work, when I was told long ago that you couldn't wear jewelry because it was dangerous in a machine shop.
I envy that you can text with her and communicate more than you ever communicated with me.
I envy that you have someone else to play with often and I do not.
I envy that you can tell her you care for her, while I cannot admit that to my special playmate.
I envy that you have so much patience for the drama and baggage that her marriage carries into our lives, when I have worked so hard to keep drama out of your life because you didn't want it.


What makes me feel Excluded?
I feel excluded because you take her into another room or a different location to be affectionate, and limit that affection in front of me.
I feel excluded that you won't share details of your journey with me.  I want to know what your thinking, how it's feeling, special names...those special things I shared with you.
I feel excluded that you always want to be alone with her, not including me in time together to just hang out.

Why do I feel Competition?
I am feeling an unfairness.
It's unfair that I passed up so many opportunities to play in order to show you how you were #1 in my priorities.  You take advantage of every opportunity, even when her husband is having problems with it.
It's unfair that I paid such close attention to the time in which I played so that you would know that you could trust rely on me.  When you loose track of time with her, I percieve it as loosing track of me.
It's unfair that I tell my playmates how much I love you and emphasize your my #1 priority, and you don't make that a priority to tell her.
It's unfair that you wanted to be where I was and I felt the pressure of you waiting for me to finish playing so you could drive me home, and I give you only a time in which I want you in my bed at night.

I realize these points are all irrational.  I realize that in all these instances, it was me making the decisions to give, rarely did you vocalize or ask me to give it.  I am dealing with them the best way I can.  I talk to you.  I talk to people. I read about it.  And now, I blog about it.

Most of all.  I love you.

1 comment:

  1. Hugs to you, my friend!
    You are feeling things I think most in your situation have felt at one time or another. Like usual, you are owning them and dealing with them as you can. Let me know if you'd like to hang out this weekend and talk, okay?

    ReplyDelete